Peace Action is the nation's largest grass roots organization. It was founded as SANE (later to become SANE/Freeze) in 1957.
Our goals are:
- Abolish Nuclear War
- Promote a more peaceful economy
- Bring an end to weapons trafficking
- Encourage non-military solutions to international conflicts
- Promote conflict resolution at all levels.
Peace Action's national headquarters are in Washington D.C. Policies are decided democratically at annual national conferences and through a Board of Directors elected by the grassroots affiliates.
The Northern New Jersey Affiliate - NJ Peace Action, always one of the nation's most active groups, is based in Bloomfield with chapters throughout the state local communities.
What we do...
- We lobby for policy changes in Congress, the United Nations, Trenton and in towns like yours
- We educate and publish a hotline on federal legislation and annual voting records for every member of congress on peace and justice issues
- We print fact sheets to better inform the public, hold public meetings on important issues and speak out in the press
- We promote conflict resolution programs in New Jersey Schools and encourage future generations to solve problems
- We organize at the grassroots level to encourage citizens to vote for candidates who support our views on peace and social issues.